ArcelorMittal Tubarão is an integrated flat steel producer unit located in the Vitoria Metropolitan Area, state of Espirito Santo, southeast coast of Brazil. It has a 7.7 million ton/year capacity to produce steel slabs and hot rolled coils and directly employs 4.5 thou people. Its location close to a logistic complex including port, rail and road infrastructure favours the availability of goods and raw material, as well as the transportation of products to internal and external markets.
Since its operation start-up in November 1983, ArcelorMittal Tubarão management has focused on the continuous search for innovation and quality of processes and products having continuously invested in new technologies and expanding production capacity.
Having a corporate culture focused on the commitment to sustainable development, it is one of the leading companies in the supply of high quality steel and holds an avant-garde position in Environmental Management and Corporate Relations with varied sectors. It is also a world benchmark for Human Resources with special highlight on actions for professional development through continuous education and innovative tools to promote Health and Safety.
Tubarão and the unit in Vega located in the south region of Brazil are part of the ArcelorMittal Group, largest steel producer in the world. Together, the two plants supply the flat steel segment producing slabs, hot-rolled coils, cold-rolled and galvanized coils traded in the domestic and international markets. It is an integrated process resulting in a high quality special steel product mix.
- Installed production capacity of 7.5 million tons steel/year;
- Responsible for 3% of the global volume of steel slabs traded;
- Client portfolio includes approximately 60 companies in 30 countries;
- 3rd largest Brazilian producer of flat rolled steel;
- Over 4.5 thousand direct and 6 thousand indirect jobs;
- Quality Assurance System certified to ISO 9001-200 since 1996; Environmental Management System certified to ISO 14001, since 2001; and Health and Safety System certified to OHSAS 18001, since 2005;
- Health and Safety indicators among the best in the world with an accident frequency rate of 0.6 for own and contractors’ workers;
- Investments of over US$750 million in equipment and environmental control systems made the company a benchmark for environmental indicators;
- Self-sufficient in electrical energy since 1999 generating 112% of the energy needed for its production capacity from the reuse of production process gases and no consumption of fuel oil;
- Lowest indices of fresh water industrial consumption in Brazil due to systems which ensure water recirculation rate above 97%;
- Residues reuse rate kept above 99%;
- First integrated steel producer in the world to trade carbon credits according to the Kyoto Protocol (in 2009).
Did you know?
Present in over 60 countries and having over 250 thousand employees, the ArcelorMittal Group is a world leader in the production of flat and long steel.
Having a management model based on three pillars – sustainability, quality and leadership – the Group continuously invests in new technologies aimed to improve the production process and keep the units at the forefront of the world steel sector.
People from everywhere
In order to build and put the plant in operation Tubarão received professionals from other states and even countries such as Japan and Italy. Determined to contribute to the excellence of the new steel production plant they built a unique corporate culture focused on quality with stability, discipline with happiness and responsibility with creativity.
Besides its logistics advantages, ArcelorMittal Tubarão location made it possible to incorporate in its design a modern and efficient sea water system for equipment cooling purposes.
After being used without no direct contact with any equipment the sea water is returned to the ocean with no change to its initial characteristics.
ArcelorMittal Tubarão is an integrated steel production plant, which means that the unit carries out all the steps of the steel production process: coke, sinter and pig iron production, hot metal production, slab casting and rolling.
The plant also produces all the electric power needed in the production in thermo electrical stations using the steam and gases from its production processes.